Sunday, May 27, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks



Goodreads Summary:
Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.

My Review:
Oh...this is one of those books. I could list all of the faults- and I definitely will list some of them. Yet, despite them, I found the book compelling. I found some of the writing kind of silly. Especially the dialogue. I think that most of the sympathy I had for the character was due to the tragedy at the beginning of the book. I think without that incident, I wouldn't like the character very much and would find her whiny and annoying. Normally, this is where I would slam an author for lazy writing- creating some kind of "movie of the week" melodrama as a shortcut to character development. However much eye rolling I did, I kept going back and reading this book. Normally, I have 10-20 books going at once. So, it's rare that I will read large portions of a book and find myself returning to it (the book). But I did with this book. My main reason for liking this book: "I liked it because I liked it. It was good because I liked it". Circular, I know, but some books are like that. You like them for some inexplicable reason you can't quite put your finger on. 

Rating: 3 stars
Genre Rating: 3 1/2 flippers or mermaid tails

Anna Banks's Blog 

Follow Anna Banks on Twitter







Book Trailer for On Poseidon:

3 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling about this -- but this mermaid tale is WAY better than the one Amanda Hocking got paid millions for. I want to read the follow up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first of Hocking's Trylle trilogy. I thought it was okay- a solid 3 star read- but I was not blown away. I've always meant to read the rest of the trilogy, but have never quite gotten around to it. I don't get the whole mermaid appeal- I'm not enamored with them the way I used to be about vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of Poseidon is a fun, quick read--perfect for reading on vacation this summer if you haven't picked it up already. The quirky characters and well-crafted mermaid lore will pull in all fans of mermaid stories.But be prepared, the cliffhanger ending will leave you wondering if you're missing something and then begging for the next book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...